Sunday, June 1, 2008

Marriage



Since I recently celebrated by wedding anniversary, I would like to share one of my favorite marriage books: Eternal Marriage and the parable of the silverware, by F. Burton Howard. I like reading relationship books, but this short and sweet story is special to me. In this book, Elder Burton shares the story about his wife who saved money in their years of marriage for a nice set of silverware. His wife took tender care polishing the silver and hiding it when not in use. The silver was only used for rare special occasions. Elder Burton thought his wife was a little eccentric but later understood that if you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. The message shared in this book is that marriage needs to be treated for the priceless gift that it is. It becomes more special and priceless as time goes by and when it becomes tarnished we can polish it lovingly. I try to remember this story when my marriage is having some difficult times and it is always so uplifting to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom gave me that book and a silver butter knife for my wedding and I treasure it so much! I have it in a box under my bed with all of my "special" things and I pull it out and read it every so often. I also love the message it conveys and am so thankful that I am able to apply it to my marriage with Spencer.