
The story of how The Red Leather Diary came to be is amazing to me. A few years ago in New York, a young journalist happened to come across a dumpster full of old steamer trunks containing many antique items such as flapper gowns, dishes and the most priceless discovery-a diary that a 14 year old girl from the 1930's had written in every single day for 5 years. Apparently an old apartment manager was cleaning out the basement storage room. After a lot of research, the journalist was able to track down the author of this diary and the 93 year old woman is still living today so now her private diary is a book for hundreds to read. I love history so it would be my dream to be the one to discover this treasure. I'll admit the book was a little unusual; Florence the author was a bit eccentric and I found myself skipping through a lot of parts. The story did get me thinking and I realized just how important keeping an updated journal is. What if someone finds my journal 75 years later down the road? What would they learn about me? I won't be on this earth forever but by leaving a detailed journal I'll be able to leave a little part of me. I also realized a lot of the times I write I am sad or angry and I don't want someone else reading it and thinking what a depressed person I was. I am going to try recording other details about what's going on in the world. I hope that one day my children and even grandchildren will be able to read and enjoy my journals and learn about who I really am.
5 comments:
I think this book sound so good!
It was interesting, but I didn't like the book so much. Florence really liked women if you know what I mean.
Hummmm. So should I skip it or not? I am drawn to the cover!!!
I think I will pass on this one. Although I would have defiantly been drawn to it also. I just love journals. Have you ever read "Letters to Emily" or it might be "Letters for Emily"? That is a good one.
Oh I loved letters for Emily that was a cute book!
Post a Comment