Sunday, September 28, 2008

MY FAVORITE CHILDREN'S PICTURE BOOKS

Even as an adult I still love picture books because I feel like I get so much out of them. They can give simple lessons or just put a smile on my face. I have so many favorites but I tried to narrow them down to 12. I can't wait to have kids of my own someday to share the stories I love.

  1. Oh The Places You Will Go, by Dr.Seuss. I got that book on my high school graduation and it really meant a lot to me.
  2. You Are Special, by Max Lucado. Such a sweet story about how everyone is important.
  3. Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch, by Eileen Spinelli. This book is such a cute Valentine's story and it really teaches a good lesson about being kind to others.
  4. Fanny's Dream, by Caralyn Buehner. This story is a real life Cinderella story.
  5. I'll Love You Forever, by Robert Munsch. My mom read it to me when I was little and it is a great story about a mother's love for her child.
  6. I Like Me, by Nancy Carlson. I read this book when I need a self-esteem lift.
  7. Christmas Oranges, by Linda Bethers. I've read this story a few times and it always makes me cry.
  8. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See, by Martin Bill Jr. I think this book is special to me because it is the first picture book I remember reading in kindergarden.
  9. A Chair For My Mother, by Vera Williams. I first saw this book on Reading Rainbow and I love the story of how a mother, child and grandmother saved times to buy a special comfy chair but then it gets destroyed in a fire.
  10. If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, by Laura Numeroff. What can I say, I love cookies!
  11. Miss Nelson Is Missing, by Harry Allred and James Marshall. This is another Reading Rainbow favorite and it's just a cute story.
  12. Amelia Bedelia, by Peggy Parish. I read these stories over and over and always got a laugh out of them!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Dear Melissa,

I have a Google Alert on the phrase "Christmas Oranges" and a few times every week I'll receive an email with the link to something with that phrase in it. Usually it's a copy of a survey that makes its way around the internet asking people if they like apples or Christmas oranges best. What a nice, nice surprise to get a link to your blog and read that "Christmas Oranges" makes a true book lover's top 12 list. That is an honor!

A couple of years ago I found a deck of cards from the New York Public Library. They're not playing cards though. Each card has one of the NYPL's top 52 children's books listed on it with a tiny picture representing the book. I loved this idea--I could make a list of my favorite *52* books. The only problem was when I made my list there were over 52 books. I couldn't bear to take any off so I decided to break it down even more--my 52 favorite picture books, 52 favorite children's novels, 52 favorite adult books, 52 favorite non-fiction books, etc. I don't have 52 on every list yet but that's just encouragement to keep reading, right?Your blog has inspired me. I don't really want to have a website right now and I don't know that I'd have much to contribute to a blog but I could share my book lists.

From one cookbook lover to another, thanks for the compliment and the idea. :D

Sincerely,
Linda Bethers
bethl214@yahoo.com

Karen said...

Melissa, I love childrens books. Jenny just got a cute one called "Why Are You So Grumpy?" cute story and great pictures!

Karen said...

Melissa, I love childrens books. Jenny just got a cute one called "Why Are You So Grumpy?" cute story and great pictures!

Ruth said...

I love picture books too! I'm starting to push for grandchildren (my son loves me ha!) so that I have someone to buy them for besides me. I just came home with two cute ones by Lance Waite on the weekend. A Day with My Dad, and A Day with My Dad at the Beach both reminded me so much of days I spent with my dad when I was little that I just had to have them.